The Champions League Twenty20 is an annual T20 tournament which is contested by top domestic teams from different countries. Usually it is the Champions of the Domestic T20 tournaments that take part in the Champions League T20 which is abbreviated as CLT20.
Three country boards – the BCCI (India), Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa are the joint owners of the CLT20. The prize money for the Champions League Twenty20 is USD 6 million while the runners up get a prize money of USD 2.5 million.
The tournament is held either in India or in South Africa during the month of September as per an agreement by the tournament owners. The Champions League T20 was to have its first edition in 2008 but had to be cancelled because of the Terrorist attacks in India at that time.
The current format of the tournaments has 10 teams taking part in the main draw. Prior to that a qualifying round robin league is played between four teams out of which two enter the main draw to join eight other teams who are direct entrants.
India as it is the dominant partner of the CLT20 tournament while commanding the largest viewership has four teams representing it. These four teams are the toppers of the Indian Premier League. This season it is the defending IPL Champions Kolkata Knight Riders, IPL 7 runners-up Kings XI Punjab and third place holder Chennai Super Kings are the direct entrants while fourth place holder Mumbai Indians are in the Qualifiers.
From India, every year there will be three direct entrants while Australia and South Africa will have two direct entrants each. West Indies will have one direct entrant. The four teams in the Qualifying Stage come from India, New Zealand, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Sadly there is no team from England in the Champions League T20!
Below are the participating teams and the countries in the OPPO Champions League T20 2014 (CLT20 2014):
- India – four teams which qualify from the Indian Premier League 2014 (IPL 7): Kolkata Knight Riders, Kings XI Punjab, Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians
- Australia – two teams which qualify from the KFC Big Bash League (BBL 2014): Perth Scorchers and Hobart Hurricanes
- South Africa – two teams which qualify from the Ram Slam T20 Challenge 2014: Sunfoil Dolphins and Cape Cobras
- West Indies – one team which won the Caribbean Premier League (CPL 2014):Barbados Tridents
- New Zealand – one team which won the HRV Cup 2014: Northern Districts
- Pakistan – one team which won the Faysal Bank Super Eight T20 Cup 2014: Lahore Lions
- Sri Lanka – one team which won the Super 4’s T20 2014: Southern Express
Winners of CLT20:
- Airtel Champions League T20 2009 held in India: New South Wales (Australia)
- Airtlel Champions League T20 2010 held in South Africa: Chennai Super Kings (India)
- Nokia Champions League T20 2011 held in India: Mumbai Indians (India)
- Karbonn Smart Champions League T20 2012 held in South Africa: Sydney Sixers (Australia)
- Karbonn Smart Champions League T20 2013 held in India: Mumbai Indians (India)